Wednesday, May 8, 2019

Behind the Songs: ECLIPSE: There Is A Name

This new batch of songs that make up Eclipse were written more in the spirit of collaboration as a band than were the songs that made up our debut album. We’re proud of that and proud of this batch of songs. And we hope you enjoy listening to them as much as we like to play them.

Purchase ECLIPSE or purchase There Is A Name.
Also available on iTunes, Amazon, Spotify, etc.

There Is A Name (Carhart, Johnson, Driml)

Lead vocal: Paul Carhart
© 2019 Third World Sun, all rights reserved, all media.

There’s a name above all names
Who can heal your heart
There’s a Lord above all lords
Who will never depart
There’s a King above all kings
Who can give you a new start
His name is Jesus. His name is Jesus

His name is Jesus. Come sit a spell.
He heals diseases. It's of this man I tell.
His name is Jesus. Lifted me when I fell.
And if he pleases, I'll drink from His well.

There’s a God above all gods
Who can give you life
There’s a rock of ages still
So why all the strife?
There’s a friend to you and me
Shines in our darkest night
His name is Jesus. His name is Jesus.

His name is Jesus. Come sit a spell.
He heals diseases. It's of this man I tell.
His name is Jesus. Lifted me when I fell.
And if he pleases, I'll drink from His well.

There’s a Maker of it all
Who has crafted your soul
He’s watched you all along
As you got older
He’s calling to you now
Don’t be so cold
He's calling to you now
It's the end of this road.

Notes:

One night, I was dropping my daughter off to stay the weekend with my sister. On the way home, I put on a band that I love but hadn’t heard in awhile (for the record, it was Delirious?, a band I had also introduced to my late wife). I had the top down on my convertible and I cranked the music up to eleven. Before I knew it, I was crying and I couldn’t put my finger on why. I turned the music off and the melody to this song just popped into my head. To my knowledge, it is not a recycled melody from what I was listening to. Nevertheless, the lyrics are sort of my version of the kinds of altar-call type of anthems Delirious? always has done so well. When I got home, I grabbed my acoustic bass from where it typically stands next to my fireplace, and I put down the chord progression. If I hadn’t believed in divine inspiration before, the way this song came together would have convinced me. I brought the entire song, pretty much complete, to the band and it came together pretty easily. I really like the instrumental interlude Scott did on this recording (I hesitate to call it a guitar solo) and Biff does some really nice fills here to make this more than just a worship song and identifiable as a Third World Sun piece. The laugh at the beginning is Biff bleeding over into the drum mics from behind the drum kit. We kept it in because I thought it connoted a level of joy that isn’t always present.

No comments:

Post a Comment