Friday, December 22, 2017

Behind The Songs - All


Many of the songs that make up Third World Sun’s first CD took a circuitous route to get to where they are today. Indeed most of them even continue to evolve since we recorded them as we continue to play them live. I wanted to document how these songs came about before I forget and it all just becomes a blur. - Carhart

Stream "All" from Soundcloud

 All (Johnson, Driml, Carhart, Carhart) 

Many times, Lori and I would talk about a subject and then go off and write completely different songs that revolved around it. All is a case of that. The first half is pure Lori. She would just sit at the piano or keyboard and just pour these worship songs out of her, usually with very little structure. The second half is my contribution. One evening we were sharing what we had written and it occurred to me to just sorta push them together. It probably breaks some musical rules. I dunno. But I also enjoy the unexpected way the song shifts after the second verse. In fact, I’ve always liked that the song doesn’t follow the typical verse/chorus/verse/chorus pop song structure. Basically, for All, we go through the verse twice and then we do the chorus three times with slight lyrical variations. On the Launch Pad version of the song, Lori sang the part she wrote and I sang the part I wrote. When we decided to port this song over to Third World Sun, I felt that the song still benefited from having a different singer for each part of the song. Scott now sings the part that Lori sang and does some of the counterpoint that she did (although it’s a bit different). Also, over the years, the lyrics to the first part have changed to match the mood and also who was singing it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment