Monday, August 15, 2016

Behind The Songs - Lori's Gone

Many of the songs that make up Third World Sun’s first CD took a circuitous route to get to where they are today. Indeed most of them even continue to evolve since we recorded them as we continue to play them live. Because of this, I wanted to document how these songs came about before I forget and it all just becomes a blur. - Carhart 

Stream "Lori's Gone" from SoundCloud 

Lori’s Gone (Johnson, Driml, Carhart)

Possibly our only downer, I wrote this not even a month after Lori passed away. At the time, I thought I was writing it for her but I realized later that I was writing it for myself. It’s a very real, heartfelt and raw look at loss. I specifically crafted the lyrics so it doesn’t have to be about death. It could be about a traumatic break up or divorce as well. There used to be a long bridge that we jettisoned. But otherwise, we pretty much play it as I wrote it. As time has passed and the healing process has settled over me, I don’t feel the need to play this song much anymore. I’m certainly no longer where I was when I wrote it. It was a therapy song for me. The guys in the band, however, like the song and consider it one of our stronger pieces. So we keep it around and play it every once in awhile. Even though we all agree it’s an important song for all of these reasons, many times we find that it doesn’t really fit well in our mostly upbeat sets. So we frequently leave it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment